Often effort and marketing budgets are tossed to the wayside or squandered simply due to lack of understanding. There are many boxes a marketer or small business owner must check in order to sit back and watch their hard earned, well-developed content perform well. Skipping even the smallest of steps can cause the campaign, website, and even the entire business to tumble like a trail of dominoes. How do you prevent all of your time and hard work from entering the NOT so productive category? Optimize first for your readers, visitors, and stellar promoters; then take these SEO tips by the reins and optimize your website all the way to perfection with content marketing SEO. Let's review how we can best accomplish this with your business blog.
What is SEO and what types of SEO strategies are there? SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, is in it’s most basic form, a logic or algorithm search engines use to present users with the most accurate search results.
noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
Procedure that produces the answer to a question or a solution to a problem in a finite number of steps. An algorithm that produces a yes or no answer is called a decision procedure; one that leads to a solution is a computation procedure. A mathematical formula and the instructions in a computer program are examples of algorithms.
Content marketing SEO can be a fragile tower of cards and ready to tumble at the touch of the ‘post now’ button on your business blog. If you do not have your SEO bases covered, your website, and business for that matter, may not be the doing the best job possible to convert visitors to leads. It is important to remember when you are optimizing your website it should serve as a tool and not a sales flyer.
Important spots to focus your business blogging SEO efforts include:
- Establish your list of keywords: All of your ranking opportunities should be well researched. This is an important step and one you should focus the majority of your time researching and perfecting.
- Always track your progress: Become familiar with your metrics, performance, and overall ranking by spending time each day (it doesn’t have to be long, 5 to 10 minutes is ample time) to review where you stand with your keywords, site performance, and ranking.
- Analyze the progress you have been tracking: visits, contacts, bounce rate, time on page, leads, and conversion. For now, it is important to understand exactly how to boost all of these metrics with proper SEO technique.
- Include the keyword in ALL blog titles
- Keep your title to a maximum of 70 characters
- Include at least one keyword (we encourage you to use more if possible, BUT don't over stuff your article, use them as naturally as possible).
- Use images and video as much as possible. Be sure to keep your image and video SEO in mind when you are attaching them to your blog post. Things like Alt Tags and Referral Links are vital to your content marketing SEO.
- Include internal links to other content sources on your website (in moderation, of course).
- And lastly, make sure to include keywords in both your meta description and the blog post URL.
As you can see, there are many requirements marketers and small business owners must fulfill in order to show up at the top of a consumer search. These tips will get you well on your way to success. For more information on blog and website optimization, SEO services, and how to convert visitors to leads, subscribe to our blog, or read our related articles below.